Thursday 2 April 2020

Klaus Schulze: Ballett 3 (2000)


Klaus Schulze - Ballett 3

KS Canon 88

Track Listing:

1.My Ty She 75:40

Bonus Track:

2. Schauer der Vorwelt 03:30

Notes:
(1) Wolfgang Tiepold plays cello.
(2) Tobias Becker plays oboe.
(3) Thomas Kagermann plays flute and violin and sings vocals.
(4) Julia Messenger sings vocals

Rating: 5 Stars
Bonus Tracks: 3 Stars

This is the 38th solo album recorded by Klaus Schulze. It was originally released as the eighth album of the "Contemporary Works 1" box set.

This is a beautiful, relaxing album. It might have been better without Thomas Kagermann's vocals, but he's tolerable. Julia Messenger's voice, on the other hand, ideally complements the music. As the single track continues it increases in intensity, especially in the last 20 minutes.

As was the case with "Ballett 2", the bonus track is out of character for the album, an unnecessary addition just to get as close to the 80 minutes maximum as possible. I could have done without it.

"Ballett 3" was released as a solo CD in 2007. It's now out of print, but in 2017 it was made available as half of the double album "Ballett 3 & 4".

I have a complaint about the packaging of the 2007 CD. The front picture has a strange texture, sticky, almost like velcro. When I leave it on my desk, dust settles on it which is difficult to wipe off.

I realise that I haven't written much about the last two Ballett albums. Do I have to? It should be enough for me to tell you that they're great pieces of work and you should buy them. Some of my readers might have noticed that most of Klaus Schulze's music is available on YouTube. Personally, I find that distasteful. It's not because it's illegal to post copyrighted music online. Everyone knows that the threats of enormous fines are just a bluff. I consider it a disrespect to Klaus Schulze himself. He has created magnificent pieces of work, so he deserves to be rewarded. What percentage does he receive of the purchase price? Probably not much, but if it's a small amount, that's all the more reason to buy it. As a rule of thumb I say, if a CD is good enough to buy, don't download it. Klaus Schulze's CDs are brilliant, and I'm willing to support him with my hard earned dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.