Tuesday 16 March 2021

The Man who would be King (5 Stars)



This is an epic tale of heroic adventure. It ends in tragedy, but it's still heart-warming to see the two former British soldiers fight against all odds to become kings. (Only one of them is eventually crowned, but any more details would be spoilers for the few of my readers who still haven't seen it).

I'm watching it out of order in my top 100 countdown. That's because my ex-wife Brigitte said she wanted to watch it with me. That was a week ago on 8th March, but I had to wait until she had time. She said that she wanted to watch it in German, if possible. Yes, my Blu-ray includes a dubbed German version, so I agreed. Normally I enjoy German dubbing, because it's much higher quality than English dubbing. In this case I think something was missing. Michael Caine's voice was well dubbed, but Sean Connery's voice was disappointing. I'm not blaming the voice actor, I'm sure he did the best he could, but the Scottish accent was missing. I also missed the richness of the Indian accents, in particular Seeed Jaffry. They all sounded German. Too German.

Despite this slight problem, I enjoyed the film. It's worth watching repeatedly. I forget how many times I've watched it, because I know I watched it several times before I started my blog in September 2010. The first time I saw it was on television, though not until the late 1990's. (It was made in 1975).

If you want to know more about the film, click here to read my first review. Better still, watch it for yourself. I'm sure you can find it online on some streaming service or other, but if not it's worth the price of the DVD or Blu-ray. Sean Connery says this was his best film. I agree.

Success Rate:  - 0.6

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.