Sunday 14 March 2021

Gemini Man (5 Stars)


In my review of "Deadpool 2" last year I informed you that I'd bought my first 4K television set and 4K Blu-ray player. What I haven't told you is that since then I've bought a few 4K discs. The first was "John Wick 2", which I actually bought in October 2018, two years before I was able to play it. The reason is that there was a special offer at the time, making the 4K disc cheaper than the standard Blu-ray release.

So far I have mixed feelings about 4K discs. I have to mention that every 4K disc I've bought so far is a dual format release that includes the standard Blu-ray. That means that I'm able to compare them. In the case of "John Wick 2" I can hardly see any difference between the 4K disc and the upscaled Blu-ray disc. (My 4K Blu-ray player upscales Blu-ray discs and sends a 4K image to my television). In the case of the other 4K discs that I own, which include "Red Sparrow" and "X-Men: Dark Phoenix", I can see that the picture is superior, but it's a subtle difference. What I mean is, the picture is better, but if I'd never seen the 4K image I'd be completely satisfied with the Blu-ray disc. Currently, 4K discs cost triple the price of the corresponding Blu-ray releases. Is it worth paying 30 Euros for a 4K film instead of 10 Euros for a Blu-ray? I think not.

It's not just about the video quality. 4K discs also have improved sound quality. I have very sensitive hearing, so I'm sure I would recognise the difference with the right home entertainment system. But that's just it. The sound equipment that I have isn't capable of doing 4K discs justice, so they sound the same as Blu-ray releases.

Now let's talk about "Gemini Man". The 4K release is incredible. It leaves the Blu-ray version far behind. It's the best 4K release that I've seen so far, and it's worth every cent of the price difference.

It's not just a question of the higher resolution. It's not even about the larger colour palette (High Dynamic Range), which makes the colours more vivid. It's the high frame rate. "Gemini Man" was filmed with a frame rate of 120 fps. Blu-ray discs can only handle a maximum frame rate of 24 fps, but 4K discs can use a frame rate of up to 60 fps. The higher frame speed gives the film a big improvement.

"Gemini Man" is only the second film to be made at 120 frames per second. Ever since the beginning of cinema, films have been made at 24 fps. Viewers have grown so used to it that it's deemed cinematic, and increased speeds seem to be hyperreal. Peter Jackson was the first director to suggest a higher speed. He made the three films in the Hobbit trilogy at 48 fps. When I saw the first Hobbit film I was so impressed that I wrote a lot about it. It was an improvement, but the director Ang Lee didn't want to stop there. In 2017 he made "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" at 120 fps, even though there was no cinema on Earth able to show it. A small number of cinemas were able to show it at 60 fps, but they were only a handful worldwide. Now he's made "Gemini Man" at the same speed.

Both films have been released on 4K discs at 60 fps. That's currently the most that 4K Blu-ray players can handle, until the technology catches up.

120 fps is the perfect speed. Supposedly, the human eye can process up to 110 fps, so there's no need to go any higher. 60 fps isn't perfect, but it's a big leap in quality from 24 fps. I knew what to expect today, but if I sat an unknowing person in front of "Gemini Man" in 4K he would immediately notice that something is different, even if he couldn't describe what it is.


The film is about a 51-year-old sniper called Henry Brogan who works for an American organisation that assassinates terrorists. When he decides to retire, his boss decides that he can't be allowed to live, so a young assassin is sent to kill him. This young man, known only as Junior, is a 23-year-old clone of Henry.

Will Smith plays both roles. As Junior his face has been digitally enhanced to make him look younger. I want to be digitally enhanced as well.


But to sum up: I don't recommend that you rebuy your Blu-rays on 4K. It's not worth the money. If you're buying a new film, be selective. I don't think 4K discs are worth the higher price, but it's up to you. However, "Gemini Man" is a special case. Buy it on 4K, however much it costs. You won't regret it.

Success Rate:  - 0.7

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.