Saturday 13 March 2021

Atomic Blonde (4½ Stars)


As I've stated in the past, this is an almost perfect film. The only reason I haven't given it five stars is because of the excessive smoking. I don't like smoking. It was cigarettes that killed my father when he was only 53. If you think I'm wrong to penalise the film for one trivial detail like this, so what? This is my blog, and I'll do what I like with it. If you don't like it, write your own blog.

One of the things that makes the film so good is the director David Leitch's selection of 1980's songs, which perfectly give the feeling of Berlin in 1989.

  • Queen: Under Pressure (1981)
  • After the Fire: Der Kommissar (1982)
  • A Flock of Seagulls: I ran so far away (1982)
  • David Bowie: Cat People (1982)
  • Nena: 99 Luftballons (1983)
  • Peter Schilling: Major Tom (1983)
  • Re-Flex: The Politics of Dancing (1983)
  • Siouxsie & the Banshees: Cities in Dust (1985)
  • Til Tuesday: Voices Carry (1985)
  • Depeche Mode: Behind the Wheel (1987)
  • George Michael: Father Figure (1987)
  • New Order: Blue Monday (1988)
  • Public Enemy: Fight the Power (1989)

There's also "London Calling" by the Clash. That's actually a 1979 song, but I'll forgive the director for adding it, because it's very appropriate when it's used in the film.


The Berlin Wall shortly before reunification in 1989. A lot of people don't realise how close the Wall was built to the houses on either side.


This is a film that establishes Charlize Theron as an action heroine. She looks incredible even when she's just been fighting KGB agents to the death. A sequel has been promised, but like so many other films, it's been delayed by the Coronavirus.

Success Rate:  + 1.3

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.