Wednesday 17 March 2021

Shadow (5 Stars)


I say that a good film is a film that I want to watch at least three times. I don't add any time frame to that definition. Sometimes it takes me years to get to the third viewing. In the case of "Shadow", it only took me 18 months.

"Shadow" is a film that's at the same time typical for Zhang Yimou and totally different. The pace is slow and deliberate, just as we know from his previous films. There are prolonged scenes of conversation and Chinese ritual before any action takes place. What makes it different is the lack of colours. If I understand correctly, the film was shot in black and white, after which limited amounts of colour were digitally added. To be precise, the only colours added were blood and the skin tones of the actors.

The film is a piece of art. Every frame is expertly crafted. The monochrome imagery doesn't make the film look dull, it makes the film look vibrant and alive.

The plot itself seems simple at first, but as it progresses there are multiple layers of deceit and deception. The King of Pei seems to be inactive because of cowardice, but he's been secretly scheming to free the city of Jing. Ziyu, the Commander of Pei, has been hiding in a cave for more than a year, carefully manipulating people so that he can become the new king.

It's a brilliant film, and I expect to watch it again some time soon. Just let me finish my top 100 countdown first.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.