Wednesday 10 March 2021

Finding Nemo (5 Stars)


I might never have watched this film. I've known about it for years, and I knew that it was highly praised, but I had no interest in it. I don't like animation films. There's no particular reason, I just don't. However, my daughter Gillian bought this film for my grandson Oliver on DVD, and he came to me and asked me to play it for him. I pretended to play it. I put the disc in my Blu-ray player, but I actually played the film from Disney Plus to get better quality. I avoid DVDs whenever I can, but Oliver didn't need to know that.

Not counting a few failed attempts, this is only the second film he's watched. The first was "Madagascar 2". I'm happy to make these new experiences with him. Will he become a big film fan like me? I don't know, but I'll certainly encourage him. He repeatedly said the words "This is my film". It means something to him that he owns the disc. That motivated him to watch the whole film from beginning to end.

I'll briefly describe the plot, even though I suspect that I was one of the last people to watch it. Nemo is a clownfish who lives with his father in the Great Barrier Reef on the North-East coast of Australia. On his first day at school Nemo swims off and is caprured by a scuba driver. He's brought to an aquarium in the office of a dentist in Sydney. His father sets out to find him, even though Sydney is more than a thousand miles away. That's a long journey for a little fish.

The film is beautiful. The bright colours of the seascape and the even brighter colours of the fish are breath-taking. It's an ocean full of danger, with sharks and other predators.

I watched the film in German. Please don't criticise me. When it comes to animated films, even the original version is dubbed. It's possible that the German version is even better than the original version, because Germany has a whole industry with high quality voice actors. I'd like to watch the film again in English to compare the versions.

I read today that "Finding Nemo" is the highest selling DVD of all time, having sold more than 40 million copies worldwide. That's well deserved. It's a great film that can be enjoyed by children and adults.

Oliver's happy. Maybe I should buy him another film.

Success Rate:  + 8.0

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.