Thursday 4 March 2021

Tenet (4 Stars)


Normally I wait to buy a film on Blu-ray until the price has dropped significantly. I rarely pay more than 6 Euros for a Blu-ray, except for the Marvel films, which remain expensive longer, and even then I won't pay more than 10 Euros. In the case of "Tenet" I made an exception. I was impatient to watch it again, so I paid almost 16 Euros.

Is it worth it? That's difficult to say. It's more a matter that I wanted to understand the film better than I did after only watching it once. I think I've got it now.

To put it simply, without giving away too many spoilers: unnamed adversaries from the future want to destroy the present day world. Is that a paradox? If we all die, will they ever be born? That's a question for philosophers and quantum physicists to answer. We never see these enemies, because they have an agent on Earth at the moment who will do their dirty work for them. It's Andrei Sator, a Russian arms dealer who has received weapons from the future.

These weapons have the principle of working backwards in time. The bullets of a gun fly back into the gun. For some reason, which isn't completely logical, being hit by a reverse bullet is more dangerous than being hit by a normal bullet.

As the film progresses we see that not only bullets can be inverted to move backwards through time, people can also be inverted. Even if you can get your head around this idea, it's impossible to explain it scientifically, but it leads to spectacular fights and car chases between forward moving and backward moving objects.

A weakness in the film is that the unnamed main character, played by John David Washington, doesn't have much charisma. I found it difficult to relate to him and his motivation. Robert Pattinson is a much better actor and should have been given the main role. Nevertheless, it's a good film, but not Christopher Nolan's best.

Success Rate:  - 0.2

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.