Friday 22 September 2023

Mars Express (2 Stars)


This is the seventh film in the Stuttgart Fantasy Film Festival.

I almost didn't go to see this film. I don't particularly like animated films, so I checked the trailer for "Mars Express", and I wasn't very impressed. But I thought I'd give it a chance. In retrospect I regret it.

The film takes place in the future when Mars has been colonised. The population is made up of humans and robots who live side by side. Some of the robots are guided by artificial intelligence, whereas others are backups, i.e. robots who are steered by a brain that's been copied from a human. A backup is usually made shortly before a person's death, so that the person's thoughts and memories can exist forever.

Two detectives, Aline (human) and her partner Carlos (backup) are searching for a missing student, Jun Chow. Evidently Jun Chow has discovered something important, because mercenaries have been sent to kill her. She's also made a backup of herself, which is illegal unless a person is very old or terminally ill.

I couldn't relate to the film, neither the infeasible story nor the murky graphics. Surprisingly, most of the people I spoke to liked it. I wish I'd stayed at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.