Wednesday 27 November 2019

Wine: Eberbach-Schäfer Trollinger-Lemberger

Two days ago I bought a bottle of Eberbach-Schäfer's wine made with a mix of the Trollinger and Lemberger grapes. This is a common mix that's made by most Württemberg vineyards. The dry taste of the Lemberger grapes is a good contrast to the fruity taste of the Trollinger grapes.

I'm glad that I didn't write a review immediately when I drank a glass of this wine two days ago. My immediate impression was, "Wow! This is the best wine I've ever tasted!" That's what I would have written. When I drank another glass today I thought differently. It's a good wine, but it didn't overwhelm me as much as it did two days ago. It doesn't have the same explosive after-taste as the Dry Trollinger, but it's very pleasant if drunk quickly.

The experts write:

The spicy bouquet has an aroma of blackberries, currants, cherries, pepper, nutmeg, herbs and lilac. Fleshy on the palate, dense, spicy, velvety, fine-meshed tannins, very nice fruit, it shows finesse and elegance and has a long after-taste.

I don't agree with the statement about the after-taste. It has a pleasant taste, but this taste fades fast. To put it a different way, the Dry Trollinger is a wine to be sipped slowly and savoured, but the Trollinger-Lemberger is a wine to be drunk quickly.

I might not call this the best wine I've ever tasted, but it's still an excellent wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.