Wednesday 6 November 2019

Evil Dead (5 Stars)


This film is best known for its gore, which was remarkably realistic for the pre-computer days, and the fact that it was banned for years as a so-called video nasty. That's not fair. I realised while watching it this evening just how well made it is, and how well the suspense is built up. Even though I could still remember the film, today I felt thrilled as if it was the first time I watched it.

Five young people, either late teens or early twenties, decide to spend a weekend at a cabin in the woods. It's remote, it's quiet and it's cheap. The problems start before they arrive. The wooden bridge that they have to cross to reach the cabin begins to collapse under the weight of their car.

They find an ancient book in the cellar, along with a tape recorder. They play the tape, and there's a report by a researcher that his wife has been possessed by demons. They fast forward to a ritual being chanted in a foreign language. This awakens something in the woods.

One of the girls, Cheryl, goes outside for a walk. The trees pin her down, rip her clothes off, and she's raped by a branch. Are you beginning to understand why the film was banned? She returns to the cabin and turns into a zombie-like creature. One by one, all the young people are transformed into the same creatures.


All except for Ash, who's played by the 22-year-old Bruce Campbell. This was his breakthrough role, if you can call it a breakthrough. He's managed to have a long film career without becoming well known. Those who know him love him as an actor, but most people shrug their soldiers and say "Bruce who?"

Most years I watch a lot of horror films in October. This year I didn't, because I spent all October in England on holiday. I intend to make up for it by watching a lot of horror films this month. I shan't be watching horror films exclusively. Maybe 15 to 20 films. This is my fourth horror film in six days, so I'm off to a good start.

Success Rate:  + 82.0

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.