Tuesday 26 November 2019

Rabid [2019 version] (4 Stars)


This is my 18th horror film for November 2019. Halloween might be over, but the horror continues. This is a remake of the 1977 film with the same name directed by David Cronenberg. It keeps to the basic premise of the original film, but the details are different. Supposedly David Cronenberg was consulted and approved the changes.

"Rabid" was one of the films that I was most excited about seeing at this year's Fantasy Film Festival, but I wasn't able to see it because of the scheduling. What I mean is, from Sunday to Thursday I was unable to see the last film of the day because I would have missed my last bus home. Luckily the film was released on Blu-ray in England only a few weeks later, so I didn't have to wait long. The American release date isn't until February next year.


Rose Miller works as a fashion designer for the House of Gunter. She's surrounded by beautiful people, but she doesn't feel beautiful. She feels inadequate. Her plight is worsened when she has a motorbike accident which completely deforms her face. I'll refrain from publishing screenshots, because she really does look nasty.

A doctor is offering a radical new form of surgery. He claims that it's more than just plastic surgery, the process will completely transform her. She wakes up and finds that she's more beautiful than she ever was before. Men are unable to resist her. She's also more sexual than she was before, but she's rough. Very rough.


Very, very rough.

It doesn't end there. In the city a new strain of rabies breaks out, highly contagious. It starts with the men that Rose has been with. The disease is deadly, but its victims have time to pass it on to others before they die a horrible death. Rose seems to be the carrier.

The film started off very lightly, seeming like a superficial romp. That was probably deliberate, since hardly anything is as superficial as the fashion industry. Halfway through, as the horror began, the film became dark and terrifying, and I found it riveting until the final minutes.


The film is directed by the identical twin sisters Jen and Sylvia Soska. I gave their film "American Mary" one of my worst reviews ever, but even though it's been six years since I watched it, I can't get it out of my mind. I intend to watch it again soon, probably this month.


There's something sexy about girls with chainsaws. I blame Fred Olen Ray. I should never have watched "Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers".


But now I have to add Sexy Twins with Chainsaws to my ever-growing list of fetishes. I can't blame Fred for that. It's all the fault of the Soska Twins.

Actually, they prefer to call themselves the Soska Sisters. It must be the alliteration.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.