Sunday 9 January 2022

Joy (4 Stars)



Name: Joy Mangano
Lived: 1 February 1956 – still alive
Film dates: approx 1966 to 2000, mainly 1990 to 1992
Film made in 2015

I'm not sure about the exact dates in the film. I've made guesses based on Wikipedia's page about Joy Mangano. If I read a full biography of her life I'd be able to pinpoint the dates, but I'm too lazy to do so much research.

It's not just a matter of laziness. I'm having a bad day. I've had bad toothache since Thursday. My dentist is on holiday to tomorrow. I thought it might get better, but now it's the worst toothache I've ever had. I've been drinking a small glass of Ouzo about three times a day, which reduces the pain, but it doesn't cure it completely. I'm unable to eat solid foods. For the last three days I've only been eating soup and yoghurt.


The film begins with Joy at a young age, possibly 10, showing talent at Origami and telling stories. Her mother spends all day in bed watching soap operas, but she's inspired by her grandmother to make something of her life.

Fast forward to 1990. Joy is divorced with two children, and she works selling tickets for an airline. Her ex-husband lives in the basement. Her mother is also also divorced, but on speaking terms with her ex-husband. Sort of. She rarely talks to everyone, except about soap operas. The end result is that four generations live under the same roof. It's interesting to see that none of the adult women in the house (Joy, her mother and her grandmother) have partners. Men are unnecessary.

After injuring herself while cleaning up a broken glass, Joy has an idea. Why should it be necessary to wring out mops? Why shouldn't there be a self-wringing mop? She designs something on paper, and an employee at her father's car repair shop builds it from her sketches. She calls it a Miracle Mop. After a difficult start with few sales, she advertises it on the newly launched shopping channel QVC.

The film follows Joy Mangano as she struggles to start a business. Her ex-husband supports her whole-heartedly. Her father offers some support, although he frequently doubts her abilities. It's tough for Joy to succeed in a male-dominated world. Wherever she goes, men are taking advantage of her because she's only a woman. Intelligence and creativity aren't enough. She needs to develop a tough attitude.

I like films about strong successful women. I'd never heard of Joy Mangano before seeing this film in the cinema in 2016. I'm now overwhelmed by her, the real woman, not just her portrayal in the movie.

Success Rate:  - 0.3

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.