Sunday 2 January 2022

Karen Mantler - 2.03 - Let's have a baby


This is the third track of the album "Karen Mantler and her cat Arnold get the flu", which was released in 1990.

Karen's vocals are in normal text.

The Man's vocals are in italics and indented.

In written form the interwoven texts look confusing. When you listen to the song itself it's easy to understand.



Let's have a baby

    There's something I must say,
    Each day life slips away.
    Now it's time to settle down,
    You and me, let's have a baby.

I'm not ready, can't we wait for a while
Until there's time?
Don't worry, you're not as old as you think,
Why can't you wait?
It's just not right.
One day you'll see it's best to wait,
You'll be glad you did.

    I've waited all these years,
    Why don't we settle down?
    Can't you see? The time is right.
    You and me, let's have a baby.

Think it over. Can't you hear what I'm saying?
It's just not right.
Why should I sacrifice everything
To have your child?
It's just not fair,
And you'll be sorry.
There's so much time,
You'll thank me one day.

You're so wrong.
    There comes a time
I can't believe
    when a man
you feel old.
    starts to think.
You've just begun to live.
    Life is too short.
There's so much time
    I can't wait.
What can I do to set you straight?
One day you'll see it's best to wait.
You'll be glad you did.

    Listen to me, I really think, you know, we should have a child.
I... I don't agree. I think it would be a big mistake.
    Look, I think that we've been together some time now, we've been through a lot, so we both can really handle this.
But who would change the diapers?
    Look, I would take care of all those things, don't worry about it.
I don't know, I still think it's, err... 
    Okay. It means a way you can show me your love.
But there must be better ways than that. That wouldn't be any good. I wouldn't be any good as a mother.
    Oh, come on, you'd be fine. Look, I'd be there to help you out.
I think that maybe you should find somebody else.
    I don't want anybody else. We've been together this long and it seems silly to break up, especially over this.
Well, couldn't we get a dog instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.