Saturday 1 January 2022

Lake Placid (4 Stars)


Betty White is dead.

Those are words that I didn't think I would have to write. There was already some media buzz about her upcoming 100th birthday on 17th January 2022. She didn't make it. She died yesterday morning at home. The cause of death hasn't yet been disclosed, except that it was natural causes.

She's had a long acting career, but I first became aware of her about 20 years ago when I saw reruns of "The Golden Girls" (1985 to 1992). I've never been a fan of American sitcoms, but the concept of four elderly ladies living together interested me. I wouldn't say that I found the episodes laugh-out-loud funny, but I found the old ladies sweet. Even then, Betty White stood out as the one who attracted me most.

A short time later I saw "Lake Placid" for the first time. Betty White has a small but important role in the film as an old woman who keeps giant crocodiles as pets. After a diver is killed she tries to cover up the existence of the crocodiles.


I'm sorry to say that "Lake Placid" is the only film in which I ever saw her, but I didn't forget her over the following years. Betty White remained active in social media, and I was always fascinated by whatever she had to say. What I liked about her so much was that she sounded so young. She always retained the playful attitude of a teenage girl. If I'd met her in a chatroom I would have guessed her age as 16.

One of her most famous quotes sounds like a joke, but it's actually true:

"Why do people say 'grow some balls'? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding".

Now she's passed away. She'll be missed not only by her family and friends, but by the millions of fans who've watched her from afar over the years. People like me.

Betty, we'll always love you.


It's sad to see the cover of the latest issue of People magazine. They jumped the gun.

Betty White
January 17, 1922 – December 31, 2021

Success Rate:  + 0.1

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.