Sunday 2 January 2022

Karen Mantler - 2.02 - I love Christmas


This is the second track of the album "Karen Mantler and her cat Arnold get the flu", which was released in 1990.

Karen's vocals are in normal text.

The Man's vocals are in italics and indented.

Vocals by the group are in bold italics and indented.

Vocals by the Karen and the group (only the last line) are in bold italics and NOT indented.



I love Christmas

Everybody knows that Santa Claus is dead,
Why should I waste time wrapping presents
When it doesn't mean a thing to me?

    Holiday are great when we get to celebrate.

Don't you know it's just a scam
To make you spend your cash?
And more suicides are committed then.

    It's a time of year for me,
    How I love my Christmas tree.

Why cut down a tree and watch it slowly die?
And you never get what you wanted.
It just doesn't seem like fun to me.

    Christmas is the best
    When we get to take a rest.

    Karen, what is this I'm hearing from you?
    Tell me why, why, why, why you must be so blue.
    Come on, why don't you get up and enjoy the occasion?
    Cos Christmas is a time for love and expression.
But they make you eat multi-fruit cake.

    We drink egg nog every night,
    Lots of pretty coloured lights,
    Shiny gifts beneath the tree.
I think one of them's for me.
It's our favourite time of year.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's "But they make you eat mouldy fruitcake". And it makes kore sense, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I've listened to the song for years, and I always understood it wrong. If you find any other errors in my transcriptions, please let me know.

      Are you a fan of Karen Mantler? Her first two albums have been important to me ever since I bought them 30 years ago. Something about the light-hearted way in which she deals with her life in questions. Even though there are other singers, she's really talking to herself.

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.