Monday 23 January 2023

Blues Brothers (5 Stars)


My readers have missed out. When I first watched this film I said I'd watch it again soon, and if I didn't watch it again within 12 months I'd buy a beer for the first person to remind me. That was four years ago. I'm a person who keeps his promises, but I admit that I'm slow at times.

The films start with images that emphasise how ugly Chicago looks. Jake has just been released from prison and reunites with his brother Elwood. They find out that the orphanage where they grew up will be closed unless a tax bill of $5000 is paid within eleven days. Jake says he can bring the money by tomorrow, but the nun who runs the orphanage refuses to accept money that's been earned by crime.


Despite being Catholics, Jake and Elwood visit Triple Rock Baptist Church. James Brown is a preacher who uses soul to save souls.


This is the sort of church I'd want to belong to. If you look carefully, you'll see that everyone is black, apart from the Blues Brothers who've quietly sneaked into the back. Is it racist if I say that black churches are better than white churches? On the other hand, why do black churches even exist? Are white people too intimidated to walk in and take a seat? If I lived in Chicago, I wouldn't be scared to take part. I'm sure they'd accept me as one of them.

The Blues Brothers have an epiphany, something they never experienced in a stuffy old Catholic church. First Jake, then Elwood sees the light. They decide to reunite their old blues band to play a big concert to earn the money.


James Brown isn't the only famous singer who appears in the movie. Aretha Franklin is the owner of a small restaurant. You know a woman is beautiful if she can be attractive even when she's wearing a dirty apron.


Ray Charles is the owner of a music instrument store, and he plays a song to demonstrate the quality of a keyboard. I've never considered him on of my favourite singers, but based on his performance in "Blues Brothers" I ought to check out some of his music.


You know you're famous when your picture is drawn on the wall of a public toilet. I've never had that honour. By the way, the man on the left is Charles Napier.


In the end the two brothers perform their concert, but they need a long time to get there. They're pursued by the police, white supremacists, angry country and western singers and even a homicidal jilted girlfriend. Talk about overkill. Even though the brothers are unarmed, a whole army battalion is sent to capture them.

It's difficult to believe that I only watched the film because it starred Charles Napier. It has so many other things going for it. There aren't just amazing musical numbers, there are spectacular car chases. I'm sure I'll watch the film again soon, but this time I won't offer any rewards to readers who remind me. You had your chance.

Success Rate:  + 1.8

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.