Sunday 8 January 2023

Basic Instinct (5 Stars)


There's something that I've told my friends in person, but I haven't mentioned it in my blog. I find smoking so revolting that I penalise films that show the main characters with cigarettes in their mouths. If there's just brief smoking I deduct half a star from the rating the film would otherwise have received, but if there's a lot of smoking I deduct a whole star.

"Basic Instinct" is an exception. The film contains smoking, but I accept it because the cigarettes are essential to the plot. The film has been criticised for glamorising smoking, but I don't see it that way. Smoking is portrayed as a vice, and when Detective Nick Curran begins to smoke again after three months without cigarettes, it's a part of his steady decline.

I'm going to see "Basic Instinct" in the cinema next month, the first time I've seen it on the big screen. I'm already excited to see it. The best films really need to be seen on a large cinema screen.

Success Rate:  + 5.2

Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

P. S. Can anyone explain to me why "Basic Instinct" is out of print in America? It's possible to order imported copies from Amazon, but you won't find it in any high street stores. Is it America's prudishness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.