Thursday 21 January 2021

Kick-Ass (5 Stars)



This was a last minute addition to my top 100 films list, added the same day that I started my countdown. It was a tough decision. I didn't want to push the film in 100th position out of my list. I'm ashamed to name the film, because it's a classic that deserved to be included.

I've already watched "Kick-Ass" six times, according to my blog's flawless records, so today I did something different. I listened to the Director's Commentary, but in the Dancer Style (TM). That means I listened to the commentary with the film's subtitles turned on.

The commentary added a few things that were useful to help me understand the film better. Matthew Vaughn repeatedly complained about not having a big enough budget. He pointed out various scenes that he didn't consider were good enough. I suppose that an artist is his own worst critic, because I really didn't see anything wrong with them.

"Kick-Ass" was filmed in a mixture of Canada, America and England. In an early scene Aaron Johnson was walking along a New York Street, but the scene was actually filmed in Hamilton, Canada. When he turned the corner, the scene was really filmed in America. It must be difficult for actors to maintain the continuity with jumps like that.


In this scene Mark Strong was supposed to kick Hit-Girl (Chloe Grace Moretz) in the face, but he refused. It was against his principles to be violent to a child. I don't understand that. In the same scene he punched her in the face twice. Everyone knows the punches weren't genuine, and the kick wouldn't have been genuine either, but he still refused to do it. Weird.

This is an excellent film. Is it better than the film I ejected from my list? I don't know. By the time I finish my countdown at the end of this year I'll probably be pulling out my hair in frustration at all the errors I've made.

Success Rate:  + 1.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.