Wednesday 27 January 2021

Titanic (5 Stars)



Today I thought Oliver would watch his second film. He picked "Madagascar 3" from Netflix. He sat fascinated for the first 72 minutes. Then there was a quiet scene. The characters were standing in the zoo talking to one another. That was too much for him. He turned the film off, even though I begged him to watch it till the end. It was only another 20 minutes. It was too much for him. He watched some silly little cartoon instead. It was called Trotro, something I've never seen before. Oh well. Maybe he'll find the patience to watch another film soon.

Soon he went to bed, so I turned to the next film in my top 100, "Titanic". It's a brilliant film. I don't know why I don't watch it more often. Maybe it's the length. I've noticed that I'm reluctant to watch films longer than three hours, however good they are.

There's no point in me describing the film. Everyone knows what happens. It's a love story set on a sinking ship. Here's my advice to single women: if you're thinking about marrying someone, watch "Titanic" with him. If he doesn't cry, he's no good for you. It makes me cry every time. Even Celine Dion's song, "My heart will go on", makes me cry, because it reminds me of the film.

The film is so well crafted, it can be used as an example of how to make a film. As far as the Academy Awards are concerned, it's the most successful film ever. It received 14 Oscar nominations, of which it won 11. Will that record ever be equalled, let alone broken? Time will tell.

I still think that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best film. I know that sounds like an insult when said of a film early in someone's career, but I honestly don't think he's risen to this level since. Kate Winslet, on the other hand, has made many outstanding films since "Titanic".

Some of the films in my list will be a matter of taste, but how can anyone not like "Titanic"? Please let me know. If you don't like "Titanic", leave me a comment telling me why you don't like it.

While watching the film today I drank a glass of Eberbach-Schäfer's Schwarzriesling. I tried drinking it the correct way, as recommended by David Klenert. I poured it in a glass and waited half an hour before drinking it. It was amazing. After 20 minutes the room was full of the rich, fruity smell. I've even considered putting a small amount in a bowl in my bedroom at night. The wine definitely tasted better after being allowed to breathe. I wonder if all high quality red wines profit from this treatment.

Success Rate:  + 9.0

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think "Titanic" would be the top film on the list of a lot of people. What other films do you like? Do you have a top 10?

      Delete
    2. Top 10 lol? No idea! Titanic is my favourite but I cant even say what comes second. I like Notebook, Mean Girls, Legally Blonde. Cruel Intentions.

      Delete
    3. "Legally Blonde" is very good. Maybe I should watch it again soon. I think "Notebook" is overrated. See "Notebook".

      Delete
  2. How do you pick your popular posts? None of the films are that special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't "pick" them. The list is automatically generated. It's a list of the posts that have been accessed most over the last 30 days. I say "accessed" rather than "read", because it's possible to read the posts of the last seven days without directly accessing them, so the readers don't flow into the statistics.

      Sometimes I can guess why a post is popular. For instance, the "Alphabetical List" post keeps returning to the list every time a new group of bloggers discovers it. On the other hand, I have no idea why "Frankenstein" is in my list three years after I wrote it.

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.