Wednesday 14 September 2022

General: Happy 12th Birthday


It's that time of year again. It's the 12th anniversary of my blog. When I wrote my first post at 6:32 am on 14th September 2010 I didn't expect to keep it up for so long. I don't remember what I thought at the time, but I kept up my blogging. For the last 12 years I've documented every single film I've watched, whether it was at home, in the cinema or at a friend's house. I've also written some posts on other subjects.

But this year is special for another reason. I've just written my 5000th post. In case you think I accidentally wrote a zero too many, I'll repeat it in words: I've written five thousand posts in the last twelve years. To be precise, the Smallville post that I wrote on Monday was my 5000th post.

Let me divide that for you.

1. 4051 posts have been film reviews. That's my main topic, the reason for my blog.

2. 138 posts have been about television series. This number will probably double by next year, because I'm (finally) placing more emphasis on series.

3. 206 posts have been about Marvel comics. I intended to review all of Marvel's superhero comics from 1961 to 1991, but bugs in the Blogger software made it difficult to write long posts, so I stopped at December 1974. I'll continue if Google ever manages to fix the bugs.

4. 107 posts have been about my favourite musician, Klaus Schulze. I've also written another 58 posts about other musicians.

5. 21 posts have been about wrestling, in my series "The Final Days of the WWF". I intend to write about all the televised events from February 1997 to May 2002.

6. 105 posts have been pin-up photos of beautiful women. I'm a man, what do you expect? So far I've featured Ai Shinozaki, Demi Rose Mawby, Coco Austin and Ifrit Aeon. I might add more in the future. I don't know yet.

7. 37 posts have been about wine. I doubt I'll be adding more posts on this subject, because I only write about a wine when I drink it for the first time. I already have my favourite wines which I buy on a regular basis.

8. 23 posts have been obituaries for actors or other people who meant a lot to me.

9. 72 posts are of a general nature. By my personal definition, a general post (like the one you're reading now) is either about my blog or about films in general.

10. The remaining posts are off-topic posts. An off-topic post is a post that doesn't fit into any of the above categories. I've flagged 110 posts as off-topic in the title to make them easy to find in my alphabetic list of posts,  but I haven't been consistent in naming my posts. There are many more, and I'm too lazy to search for them.

The popular posts list in my sidebar is a list of the most read posts in the last 30 days. Here's a list of the most read posts in by blog since September 2010:

The top post has remained popular since I wrote it in 2015. It gets at least 150 hits every month, so it's constantly in my monthly top 20, and it sporadically enters my top 10.

The second post is popular among other bloggers. Most months it only has a few hits, and then some community and/or forum discovers it, so it has over 500 hits a month for a few months.

The other posts come and go in popularity. Most of my readers come from Google searches, so they have a steady trickle of hits. Occasionally someone shares one of my posts on his web site, which leads to a surge in interest. I take it as it comes.


This is a record of my blog traffic from 2010 till today. The spikes in 2017 are artificial traffic caused by web spiders. They're easy to recognise. If every post in my blog gets one or two hits, it's fake traffic. If a few posts get hundreds of hits while the rest get hardly any, it's genuine traffic.

I hope all these statistics haven't bored you. I'm just excited at reaching the 5000 post milestone. Keep reading my blog. Keep leaving comments. Most of all, tell me what you want me to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.