Wednesday 25 May 2022

Dark Side of the Moog Vol. 11 (2008)


Klaus Schulze and Pete Namlook - Dark Side of the Moog Vol. 11

Track Listing:

1. The Heart of our Nearest Star Part 1 17:40
2. The Heart of our Nearest Star Part 2 22:00
3. The Heart of our Nearest Star Part 3 11:10
4. The Heart of our Nearest Star Part 4 05:20

Rating: 5 Stars

The four tracks are distinct pieces of music, but the first two tracks and the last two tracks are edited to run into one another.

The album was originally released on Pete Namlook's private label as a limited edition of 2000 copies. In 2016 it was re-released as part of a box set, which is now also out of print. This is his final collaboration with Klaus Schulze. Maybe he would have made more albums, but he died of a heart attack in 2012, aged 51.

If it weren't for the short fourth track letting down the album, this would be the best of the Dark Side Of the Moog albums. The first and the third track are strongly percussive, probably a drum machine. The second track uses subtle sequencers. In many ways, this isn't a typical Klaus Schulze album. I can't say whether or not it's typical for Pete Namlook, because he has no consistent style.

"Dark Side of the Moog Vol. 11" was released as a double CD. Both CDs contain the same music, but the second CD is recorded in Digital Surround Sound. Call me old fashioned, but for me music should be recorded in Stereo. I don't have surround sound equipment, so I can't check the quality of the second CD.

For reasons unknown to me, this album isn't mentioned on Pete Namlook's web site, so I can't keep to my usual habit of quoting his brief thoughts about his releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.