Wednesday 4 May 2022

Hospital Day 20 - The Escape!


This is a photograph of my lungs taken during a CT scan on 15th April. I had two CT scans, on 15th April and 28th April. I was given a CD today with recordings of the scans. The viewing program is complicated, with a long program description, and I didn't have the patience to read it all. I don't have the medical training needed to understand the pictures anyway. I just played around with the program until I found something interesting to look at.

The only thing I know about the picture is that the little white blobs in the lung cavities shouldn't be there. I asked what they are, and the doctor said he didn't know. The bronchoscopy that I had yesterday should give the answer, but it will take a week for the laboratory to return the results.

Now to today. I slept a record five hours, from 1:30 am to 6:30 am. I felt fresh and well when I woke up, apart from a terrible sore throat and coughing. The sore throat isn't because of my illness; it's an after-effect of the bronchoscopy. The tubes – two of them! – that were pushed down my throat irritated me, so I'll have to wait a few days to recover.

I was told an hour later that I would be discharged. The doctor came to me at 10 o'clock and told me it was a conditional discharge. When the results of the bronchoscopy arrive it will be decided whether I have to return to hospital. Alternatively, I may be treated as an out-patient. I'm sure the doctors are well-trained experts, but I find it disappointing that after 20 days in hospital they still don't know what's wrong with me. They know it's a lung infection, but they don't know what caused it. They don't know what the white blobs are in my lungs. Not yet, anyway.

I was finally sent home by taxi shortly after 12. My ex-wife offered me chili con carne, but I couldn't eat it. My food tastes are still messed up. What does that have to do with my lungs? She gave me a vegetable broth with carrots and celery as an alternative. That's my favourite food at the moment: vegetables cooked until they're so soft that they can be sliced with my spoon. I wonder how long it'll take until I'll get my normal taste back.

Now I'll try my best to get back to my normal life. The doctor told me (assuming I don't have to return to hospital) that I should rest for a week, then get up and about depending on how I feel. That's what I want. I don't want to spend every day lying in bed like an invalid.

4 comments:

  1. Damn. A harrowing experience indeed. While i 'felt' a part of it from my time in the hospital for my lungs, it wasn't compounded by the sense of abstract menace that comes from not knowing the source of the problem. I might have had that frustration in the recovery period of feeling feeble an unlike myself, but at least i had a solid framework for understanding around the problem.
    The extra psychological weight, and how that can impact healing and recovery, made your experiences seem far, far worse. Not to mention about tripling the hospital time of both my visits combined.

    I'm glad you made it out the other side and are still here and blogging away.

    My guess on those blobs in the CT scan...?
    Alien parasites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry - they'll probably trigger a Super Power. That's how those things work, right?

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.