Thursday 5 May 2022

TV Series: Banshee Season 1


Now that I'm back home from hospital I feel in the mood to binge on a television series rather than watch films. For a while, at least. I've picked "Banshee", a series that's not so well known. I forget how I first discovered it. All I know is that I was fascinated by the few episodes that I saw, and I was determined to buy it on Blu-ray as soon as the series was complete. It was broadcast from 2013 to 2016, so I managed to buy it in early 2017. And it's been sitting on my shelf in my bedroom for more than five years. Disgusting! I should have watched it years ago. The only consolation is that Amazon's current price is more expensive than what I paid five years ago.


The series is about a jewel thief called John Smith. He's never actually called by this name in the series, but we see his name printed on his arrest record. He worked for a New York crime lord called Mr. Rabbit. When he was sent on a job to steal $10 million worth of diamonds he decided to double cross his boss and keep the diamonds himself, along with his girlfriend Anna. When the police were chasing him he distracted them so that Anna could escape with the diamonds. He served 15 years in prison for armed robbery. When he was released he looked for Anna, but she'd disappeared. She'd changed her name to Carrie and moved to Banshee, a small town in Pennsylvanian Amish country.

On arrival in Banshee John witnesses the newly arrived town sheriff getting killed in a robbery. He steals his badge and uses forged papers to take on his identity. He becomes Lucas Hood. That's the name he retains throughout the series. He adapts surprisingly well to his new job as a sheriff. The deputies in the police station are shocked by his unorthodox methods, but they learn to appreciate him when they see that he gets the job done.

Banshee is a town divided between the old ways and the new ways. The traditional Amish live alongside people who prefer modern comforts. Another element is a local Indian reservation, whose people mingle with the townspeople. It's a fascinating mix of cultures.


We see this the most clearly in the case of the local businessman Kai Procter. He grew up in an Amish family, but he abandoned his faith to live a life of luxury. His main business, the way he presents himself to the world, is as the owner of a slaughterhouse. Behind the scenes he owns strip clubs and he manufactures recreational drugs for the town's young people. He's bribed the previous sheriffs to follow his instructions, but Sheriff Lucas Hood is too independent to follow orders.

Kai Procter is a complicated person. Despite his wrongdoings he loves his town and he loves the Amish community.

And what about Anna, now called Carrie? She's married the local district attorney, and she has two children, aged 13 and 9. The arrival of her ex-lover is an embarrassment for her.


In case you're wondering how Lucas could get forged documents so fast, he has a friend called Job in New York. Alongside his job as a hairdresser, he's a formidable hacker. It seems like he also has a connection with Mr. Rabbit, but this isn't explained in the few episodes that I've seen so far.

One curiosity about this series is that every episode has an after-credits scene. Some of the scenes are significant to the plot, so they shouldn't be skipped.

As you know, I don't write full reviews of television series, but I'll probably add a few thoughts as I continue watching. I need to keep writing so that you know I'm still alive.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.