Saturday 14 May 2022

Hospital Aftermath Day 11


While I was in hospital I gave regular updates on my health. After I was discharged from hospital I stopped abruptly and went back to my normal blogging. I've had a few inquiries from people who are concerned about me, so I think I should give occasional updates on my health.

Today is my 11th day at home. I wasn't completely healthy when I was discharged. I was told to rest for at least a week, and after that do as I felt best. I was also told that I'd have to return to the hospital, probably as an out patient, when the laboratory results of my bronchoscopy on 3rd May were received.

I'll start off by saying that my results still haven't been returned from the laboratory. That means that the hospital still doesn't know what caused my lung infection. That's frustrating to me, because I want to know what caused my illness.

When I returned home on 4th May I still felt weak. I haven't left the house since then, although I've been in the cellar a few times. Three times, I think. I have no trouble walking or going downstairs, but walking upstairs is exhausting. I have to take it slowly or even rest halfway. There are 70 steps from the cellar to my apartment, and no lift.

I'm still not eating normally. I eat semolina twice a day, morning and evening, and I eat boiled vegetables at dinner time. I've seen my doctor twice since I was discharged. (I'm fortunate that my doctor's practice is in the same house where I live). When I saw her on Thursday she said that my rapid weight loss in the last month is mainly muscle loss, so I should attempt to eat meat again. I've been eating small amounts of meat since then with my vegetables. It doesn't taste that good, but I can eat it.

One thing that a few people have asked me about needs to be explained. I haven't lost my sense of taste. Everything tastes the same as it always has done. I just don't like the things I used to. I can't drink coffee any more. I tried it once, and it was awful. All I drink at the moment is water and peppermint tea.

Another problem I've had with eating is that I lost my sense of hunger. I don't have the feeling that I need food. That changed slightly on Thursday. I didn't enjoy the thinly cut beef steak, but in the evening I felt hungry and ate an extra large bowl of semolina. The last two days I've also felt hungry in the evening.

My sickness has nothing to do with the Coronavirus. That's all people think about these days! I was tested several times in hospital, as a matter of routine. I told the doctors that I'd never had Coronavirus, but they tested me anyway for Corona antibodies and confirmed I've never had it.

I was still coughing when I left hospital, but it's rapidly diminishing. Yesterday (Friday) was the first day that I stopped coughing altogether, so I'm getting better? I hope so. I need to know what caused my lung infection, so I can be sure it won't come back.

That's all I have to say for now. I shan't write updates every day, but I'll write whenever there are any significant updates, positive or negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.