Thursday 26 May 2022

They call me Trinity (4 Stars)


I've watched this film a few times already, but today is the first time I've watched it with German dubbing. I have to say that I'm amazed at the quality of the dubbing. As I've said before, dubbing is a serious industry in Germany, and the actors who provide the voices ("Synchronsprecher") are mostly successful theatre actors, so the voice quality is outstanding. It can't be compared with the poor quality of English and American dubbing.

It's often said that there's nothing original in films or television. I can see the problem. The ideas in old films were so good that it would be a shame to abandon them. They're just repackaged and disguised as new ideas. The premise of "Banshee" is a good example. A jewel thief takes the place of a sheriff. A new idea? No. In "They call me Trinity" Bud Spencer plays a horse thief who shoots a sheriff and takes his place as a town's sheriff, pretending to be him.

Is this plagiarism? Technically, yes, but in films and television plagiarism is so common that I wouldn't call it a crime any more. Most directors hide it, but Quentin Tarantino unashamedly makes films that are a patchwork of scenes taken from previous films. He doesn't call it plagiarism, he calls it a homage.

Here are the original Italian lobby cards. I hope you like them as much as I do.









The film has been released in England and America, but I strongly recommend that you buy the far superior German Blu-ray release. It includes English dubbing.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.